The city of Regina passed a motion to make Regina a 100% renewable energy city by 2050. We can achieve this goal while creating many new green jobs.
To make this a reality, we should:
- Prioritize infill and re-development and establish sustainability requirements for construction which include: energy efficiency, minimizing tree removal, a plan for green spaces and incentives for renewable energy infrastructure.
- Together with SaskPower, we need to expand the generation of renewable power including the revival of a net-metering program. Additionally, we should establish grants to help organizations and individuals transition to renewable energy in Regina.
- Complete energy audits of all city properties and enact a plan for retrofits to improve energy efficiency and sustainability.
- We need to do a better job of implementing plans for improving public transit. Work has started on a Transit Master Plan but we can’t wait until it's done. We need to make improvements to transit now. A first step could be providing free transit for all school-aged kids when school buses are cancelled.
- We can cut waste and reduce costs with more ambitious recycling and composting for individuals, businesses and industry.
- End the use of cosmetic pesticides.